I changed my font at Lily Puff

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Run Forrest, Run!

Did you know giving birth is the equivalent to a full marathon? That's right, going through labor is the same as running a full 26.2 miles. I bet you also didn't know that being a stay at home mom is the HARDEST job on the planet. Today, after Andy got home, he was holding Will for a little while, and I could tell Will was tired. So I swaddled him like we always do before bed time. Then, I asked Andy if he wanted him back. This is what he said, and I quote, "Hmm...my arms are tired." YOUR arms are tired! You would never make it being here with him all day! He thinks he would, but I know he would go nuts.

Speaking of going nuts. I feel I am slowly loosing my mind. I spend all day, every day with Will. I am never alone. There have even been times where I haven't even peed alone. Yes, that's right. I have taken my son with me to the bathroom. Don't worry, I am sanitary about it. Andy gets to go to work, or school, or even go play video games with his buddies. His "wind down time." Well, what about MY wind down time? Just because Will is sleeping doesn't mean I get to stop. There are still dishes to do, or clothes to put away, and don't even talk to me about vacuuming. That happens about once ever blue moon, unless Andy does it before then. Then, there is trying to at least shower and make myself look presentable. It doesn't happen often either.

My cure for loosing my sanity? Well, as I said before, giving birth is like running a full marathon. So, starting next week, I will be going running...I'll actually start out as a brisk walk (I'm not much of a runner...) and I will be going BY MYSELF. Although, I would like a friend to come with...any volunteers??

Exercise creates endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't go nuts!


*as a side note, we're moving into a two bedroom next month! That will probably help with the sanity on my part.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Hang in there! I've taken Charlotte into the bathroom with me as well. Make sure you do get some time for yourself! It makes a huge difference. I know it's hard to step away from everything when there is so much to do, but getting away helps with the craziness! :) Wish I lived closer, even if I didn't go walking with you I would steal you away for some girl time!

Becca Jane said...

Well, since our hubbies get their video game time, I still say we leave the kids with them ATLEAST once a month and go get ice cream or walk around the mall or Gateway or something....
I'm sorry, I promise I know how you feel!!

ed and brooke said...

Running helps a lot! I've always gotten stressed out and anxious after a long day. It's the only thing that I really do for me. Plus, everyone else reaps the benefits. I'm in a much better mood throughout the day and things just seem not to bother me. Have you thought about getting a jogging stroller? It is so much nicer to run in the morning in Salt Lake. You could check KSL or craigslist and see what's available. Then you and Will could go together.... I know, i know... not what you wanted to hear. Seriously though, you're less likely to procrastinate it if you're with him and don't have to wait for andy to get home.

Lani said...

After two years I'm still trying to figure out the balance in order for me to keep my sanity... I think it's even harder being pregnant again already... I think my tolerance levels are much lower for everything, but I do think that time to yourself is the best thing you can do for your family, even if it is just an hour! Good luck! And I wish we lived close to each other where we could go out for walks together!

The Frasers said...

lets get one thing straight. I came home from a full day of lifting awkward 100lb+ equipment at work, so my arms already felt like jelly. I could have been holding a 5lb melon and been tired. I can hold a baby all day because I have already done it many times with nieces and nephews....Sincerely, your loving husband :)