I changed my font at Lily Puff

Monday, May 4, 2009

He's keepin up with the big kids!

So we had Will weighed and measured last week...he's 11 pounds now! He's gained about 5.5 pounds since he was born! Because he is a preemie, they treat him his gestational age. So even though he was born 3 months ago, he is gestationally 2 months...stupid I know, but I guess I get it. Well, the nurse who I talked to said she isn't supposed to do this, but Will is in the 50th percentile for everything among 3 monthers! So, even though he's "technically 2 months" he's just like everyone else his age! I am so happy! He has such a rough start, but that's not stopping him at all!

Andy is finally home from Boston! I am so happy! He got to do lots of fun things while he was there. He went to Cheers, he went to the U.S.S Constitution and some Portuguese restaurant. He got me a shirt from Cheers! I'm SO glad he is home now!

Will giggled for the first time the other day. CUTEST sound I have ever heard in my life!

I love my family so much!

I've learned how to use my sewing machine! I'm going to make myself a skirt! Hopefully it turns out well! Wish me luck.

4 comments:

ed and brooke said...

I started reading that baby book you recommended... the Happiest Baby on the Block. I don't get what the secret is? Swaddling? white noise? Is there something you found more helpful then other things mentioned?

Did you see the picture of the lady craddling the horse/baby? I was rolling when I saw it.

The Frasers said...

haha yeah, I think there are a TON of things in that book that are funny!

The trick is to do all five S's just right to trigger that calming reflex. When Will would start fussing, I would swaddle him, then pick him up and hold him so his stomach was next to mine, then I would start shhing, and then I would move from side to side and bounce (if he was really screaming, I would pretty much do whole body shaking. Like I had really bad shivers or something.) Then, I would hold a binkie in his mouth and let him suck on that. It worked wonders. It doesn't work unless you do all 5 S's though. At first, I would do that every time he would start screaming. Now he never cries during the day for more then about a minute at a time. I don't swaddle him at all during the day anymore. At night time, he's pretty much got his schedule. He'll start fussing just to let me know he's ready for bed (everyday around 830-9) and he's usually out by the time I finish swaddling him. I also have a white noise maker in the room. At first I was using the womb sound...but he hated that (go figure huh? haha) But I found the waves are the best. It really will just depend on what your baby likes though. What it is that triggers that calming reflex. If Will is crying, all I have to do now it start my routine for the 5 S's and he stops crying.

It really is a miracle. Seriously. It'll probably take about 2 weeks to get it down just the way your baby likes it though. Once you do, your baby will sleep awesome at night.

I love it because crying babies really stress me out, QUICK. So, this really saved me from wanting to throw my child out the window! (I would have never done it, but you get what I am saying)

Good Luck!

The Frasers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nickessa said...

That's awesome that Will is so healthy and growing properly - that's always a relief! It's so cute when babies start smiling and laughing - it's the best!