I changed my font at Lily Puff

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Boxes, boxes...BOXES!!

Andy and I have officially moved into our Home Sweet Home. I worked yesterday morning and was not able to help Andy move a lot of our things into our new place that day. As soon as I got off work, I shot up 8th south to our new place. Andy had not told me which building or parking lot he'd be in, so I spent about 10 minutes driving in circles looking for his dad's truck (he drove that most of the day to make larger trips between his parents and our house). Finally, I get a call from Andy asking if I was there yet. I explained to him, in a rather annoyed way, that I was in the complex, but I had no clue where to go and I couldn't find his car. This is when he decides to tell me he was not in the complex, hence the reason I could not find his car! So, I asked if he'd left the door unlocked to the house and he said no. Well, what am I supposed to do? You're not here. He said I could just wait in the car. Sounds fun right? I didn't think so either. So I went to Wendy's and got my darling husband a burger and some chicken nuggets. He was very grateful for the food. Once I was able to get into the house, I got to work. First thing I did...went to Walmart and bought some dish soap. Oh, and some hand soap, toilet paper and a shower rod for the bathroom. (side note, problem with being pregnant and getting larger, your bladder is almost ALWAYS full, so toilet paper is a necessity) Well, that took about an hour. About 40 minutes longer then I was planning. So when I got home Andy had finished unloading and was sitting eating his lunch. I started to open up boxes and wash dishes. Pots, Pans, Crock Pot, blender, casserole dishes. Everything. Then, I had to find places to put everything. Luckily, Andy thought ahead and we had already bought a stand to put our toaster oven on. We were able to fit our pressure cooker and all our cookie sheets in the cubbards. On the middle shelf I was able to put my cookbooks and measuring cups(one of them can hold about a gallon of whatever you need, it's HUGE) Then on the top we put our toaster oven and our fruit bowl. I will admit, we have put things in some odd places. We have our electric skillet under the sink(it was too big to try to manuver in the top cubbards, there is a bar in the middle of all of them.) Our spice rack is on top of our fridge. Our Kitchen Aid and Blender...well, they're going to go on the shelving unit we're buying tonight along with all our food. I have two top cubbards which are empty. They are too high for me. I was standing on a chair to put everything above the first self, and I felt like I was doing to fall putting thing up there cause I couldn't even reach them with the chair! One funny thing about having tall cubbards, our shower head is really low. I'm not extremely short, but I'm not tall either, and I still had to bend a little to get my hair completely washed. I think the builder got confused between the showers and the cubbards. Our bedroom is surprisingly larger then I was expecting. That was a nice surprise! We can fit our bed, dresser, two night stands and a lingerie dresser in our room and still have room for a cradle! The hard part is going to be putting the living room together. There is no real separation from the kitchen and the living room. When you walk in, it's pretty much one big room until you get to the bedroom. That will be hard to separate without making it look too aweful cluttered. Last night was just crazy! Andy's friends came to help move the heavy stuff, the sofa, dresser, more boxes, our 100 lbs. box of books. I was feeling very accomplished with myself until they got back. I had washed every dish that had been brought up to that point, found places for them, had ALL the boxes in some what of a pile, put our bathroom together with everything I had up to that point. I was feelin good. Then the boys got home. And they brought MORE boxes, plus the entertainment center, and the dresser, and the sofa, and more and more boxes. So, I stuck to what I could have control over without bursting into tears (side note 2: being pregnant can make one very emotional. I cried over a book yesterday, I hate crying) So, I finished getting the bathroom together. And put the drawers in the dresser. And washed the rest of the dishes that were brought. Then Andy left again. So, I went and bought a pizza (still no food in the house) and some rootbeer. And I was home just in time. Andy came in about 3 minutes after me. We pushed some boxes out of the way, got some glasses, ate our pizza, brushed our teeth. Looked at the mess and I joked that I was actually grateful that I have to work tomorrow and went to bed. It was by far one of the best days of my life :)

4 comments:

ed and brooke said...

I know how you feel about the craziness of boxes. Our apartment has boxes covering every wall right now. We are loading the truck tomorrow and leaving on Friday. I hate moving. I'm glad you are getting settled in to your new house. I want to see pictures when its finished!

Laura said...

Yay for your new place! I am so happy for you. Isn't it so fun knowing that you get to decide where everything goes!

Larysa said...

Yeah! You are in your new apartment! Getting settled can be overwhelming, but it alot of fun, too! I agree with Laura in that I loved deciding where everything was going to go. It just makes it feel even more like your place!

Wendy said...

Isn't the adventure grand?! You are embarking on one of the best times in your life. Enjoy. Love you much, sweetie.