I changed my font at Lily Puff

Monday, July 7, 2008

Baby Your Baby

Andy and I were officially approved for Baby Your Baby today! It's a program that is going to pay for all my doctors visits until we can find out whether we've been approved for Medicade. I am really glad because I don't have health insurance so this is going to help us TREMENDOUSLY! I guess sometimes it pays to be poor, in love, starting a family. It really is a great blessing for us. Cause we weren't sure what we were going to do if we didn't get approved. Having a child costs way more then we can even imagine affording right now! So, now I need to figure out what kind of Doctor I want. I would really like to do natural childbirth, but I don't want to use a midwife. What I was thinking was more of a General Physician. One that can deliver our baby and also be our pediatrician. An OB seems to me to have an attitude of "I know all, you'll deliver this baby how I say." Whereas a midwife is more of "tell me what you want and we'll do that." With no medical advice really. I feel like a GP would be a good middle ground. You know, "ok, this is what you want to do? Here's my medical opinion. We'll have a back up plan if we need one type thing." I want to be including, but not completely in charge. I mean, what do I know about birthin babies?? Right? What do you guys think??

2 comments:

Laura said...

Great! What a blessing.

I go to an OB/GYN and he is very good about listening to what I want and working with me. I think it just depends on who your doctor is. My famiy doctor doesn't hardly listen to anything I tell her and doesn't really give me options. she tells me what she's going to do and I can choose to do it or not. I think you should choose a doctor in general who will listen to what you want, but give suggestions also. I was more comfortable with an OB/GYN because he works with delivering babies all the time. I wanted someone who deals with it a lot and has experience with many different birth situations.

ed and brooke said...

My husbands father is an OB/GYN. You def. want an OB. A General Physician doesn't go through the extensive residency that an OB does. Very few OB's or Midwives take Medicaid. His dad is only doing gyno things now and doesn't deliver any children due to his age. Do you want me to see if he could recommend someone? A lot of the women OB's that I have met are crazy. They talk about moon cycles and finding your aura. If you are only interested in a women, I understand. Let me know and I'll check with my father in law and see who he would recommend.