I changed my font at Lily Puff

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Will-isms

We are in the 'terrible two's' stage of life with Will. I keep reminding myself of a psych class I took in which the professor told us that the more 'terrible' a toddler is, the better person they become as children, teens and adults. It means they know what they want, whether they know how to express that or not. It means they naturally question life. So, let's hope my professor was right, and Will ends up being the greatest mind on Earth. We've been going through some tough patches lately. First, there is the throwing yourself on the ground and screaming. If that doesn't work, there is the "NOO!!!!". Obviously, I don't talk to Will in that tone of voice...unless he resorts to number three, which is hitting.

It usually goes a little something like this:

Mom: "Will, please don't climb up there."

Will: "Shhh!" Continues to climb on the top of the sofa.

M: "William, I am going to count. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Now, get down!"

W: Throws self onto the couch and begins to cry.

M: "Will, you don't need to cry. It's not safe on the top of the couch. You can jump on the cushion, but not on the top."

W: Continues crying.

M: Goes to pick Will up because he is so pitiful.

W: "NOOOO!" Raises hand back to strike.

M: Grabs hand. "NO! We don't hit. It's not nice!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I post this scenario to introduce our evening last night.

I had just gotten off work and Will was standing, stark naked, with Andy. It was right after his bath and Andy was making sure he was all lotioned up because Will has dry skin just like Andy. I sat down on the floor next to them and Andy said "Will, tell Momma your new word." I looked at them and Andy had Will's hand, palm up, and said "Will, what are these?" I was a little confused and then Will said "Wrinkles!" I thought it was the cutest thing! He has what we like to call "old man hands". Once I had Will in his jams, he pointed at my glasses and said "Wusat? Eyes?" Yes, those are my eyes, now don't touch them! He then points to my chin, where I have a mole. It's almost flesh colored, so it surprised me that he noticed it. He points to it and said "Wusat?" I said "That's a mole." He says "Caca?!" Andy covered his face laughing, I swatted at him and Will says "Be nice!"

The moral of this story is this: Be the example you want for your kids, because they are watching you more closely then you realize!

No comments: