I changed my font at Lily Puff

Friday, January 9, 2009

Bringin the New Year in with a BANG!

I guess since I am home now, I should let everyone know what has been going on exactly with us so far this year!

Today is my first day home from St. Mark's Hospital, where they took great, great care of me :) Monday, after work, I was walking to my car, and slipped on the ice, falling backwards. It didn't hurt too much and I just went about my day. When Andy got home, he made me call my dr office. So, I did, told them I fell and the next thing I know, Andy and I are heading to the hospital for monitoring. I wasn't hurting from the fall, just a little pain on my right side, it felt like just some stretching. Well, when we got to Labor and Delivery, they hooked me up to some monitors and noticed I was contracting. Two nurses and the on call doctor checked me out, discovering I had dialated TWO centimeters and am about 60% effaced. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't even feel the contrations. After about 2 hours, the on call doctor came in and said they wanted to admit me for over night, and let my doctor check me in the morning. So, I was admitted. They hooked me up to an IV, with magnesium solfate, which is a drug that knocks you completely off your butt and stops labor. I was on that all night, along with an antibiotic and IV fluids, bed rest, not even getting up to go to the bathroom, oh and the blood pressure cuff, going off about every hour, along with a heart monitor for Will and a contraction monitor for me. They also set the bed up in case Will did come and notified NICU, just in case. I am only 33 weeks along, if Will came that early, he'd be in the NICU for about 2-3 weeks, due to low birth weight and little lung developement. They went ahead and gave me two steriod shots, which help speed up lung developement in the baby, just in case. Well, the mag. sulfate was not working the way they wanted it too. I was still contracting and I wasn't feeling them very much. They gave me a shot of morphine which can sometimes work miracles and stop contractions, and it worked mostly!
The next morning, when my doctor came to check me, I had dialted to a 3 1/2 and am about 65% effaced. I stayed on the mag sulfate for another night, and I was able to get off it and just take the antibiotic. The contractions have pretty much stopped. I have them occassionally, when it's about time for me to take my pill, which I have to take every 8 hours, to hold off labor, and when my bladder gets full...which is about every 30-45 minutes because Will has dropped so low. My doctor is hoping I can make it to at least 35 weeks before I give birth. Hopefully longer, but 35 weeks, there are much less complications. And he won't have to stay in the NICU for quite as long. Andy has been SO great! He would rub my feet, my hands (until they were too pricked and poked that they bruised) my back, took care of helping me go to the bathroom, everything. I was in the hospital until about noon today, and I am on bed rest until I deliver. Only getting up to use the bathroom and shower. Our family and friends have been so great and we are so incredibly grateful for all the thoughts and prayers. The Lord truly has blessed us and we see all the blessings each day.

8 comments:

Lani said...

We're SO glad to hear you're ok! Matt and I were worried about you! Good luck holding off for the next couple weeks!!!!

Becca Jane said...

I've been thinking about ya! Our thoughts and prayers are with your little family (including Will) right now!
Love ya!

Steve and Larae said...

So you had been on my mind a little and I didn't know why cuz I knew you weren't due yet, but finally the other day I wrote you just a quick message on FB and then Tessa told me what happened. No wonder you had been on my mind! Sheesh! Hope all things are well! Can I come up and visit ya sometime?

Laura said...

I am so glad that little Will is being cooperative and waiting until he's more developed. I will be keeping you guys in my prayers.

ed and brooke said...

It's a relief you're okay. When I started to read your post I thought you were going to say that you delivered him.

Larysa said...

I am relieved that everything is ok!! Hopefully Will can hang in there a little longer, and you too. But just so you know--I had a friend who just delivered at 33 weeks, and her baby is healthy and perfect. Of course, that is not the way that you want to go, but if it comes down to it, everything will be ok! You are in our prayers, too!

Nickessa said...

You and Will are in our prayers. I know the Lord will take care of you and the baby. Everything will be A-ok!

Erica said...

I was so sorry to hear about your fall, that is so scary. I am bringing you dinner on Monday so I will call you Monday sometime to see what time will be best for you. Oh this is Erica Harward, your visiting teacher, I just saw your blog on Becca's blog list. Well you take care of yourself and please please let me know if there is anything I can do, I am here all the time and would love to help as much as I can, even if you just need some company, please call.